Steam serves as a digital game distributor that provides access to both free and paid video games. Like companies, it is bound hand and foot by laws, including copyright and content distribution laws. If you’re persistent enough, you can still play any game, even if it’s not available in your region. While changing your Steam region may not be as straightforward as it once was, this article will guide you through the necessary steps to modify your country settings on Steam.
What Do You Need To Know About Unlocking Game Regions On Steam?
Changing the region and currency of your Steam store might appear straightforward, but several considerations should be kept in mind. Here are the crucial points to remember before, during, and after modifying your Steam country:
- Steam allows a store region and currency to change only once every three months. As you guessed, expanding gaming horizons is not profitable for Steam.
- Steam region hopping requires a billing address from that region is required. It is advisable to secure the address and zip code from accommodating friends. Otherwise, purchasing games from different countries may not be possible.
- In Russia, using a Russian credit card is recommended for adding funds to your Steam Wallet, whether virtually or physically. Failure to do so may result in a Steam ban. The significant price difference between games and in-game items in Russia is considered to be 80-90% cheaper compared to the rest of the world.
- While selecting a VPN for Steam, consider the availability of servers in your desired countries, and the speed and security of encryption protocols.
To change the region, you need a good VPN. The first service you come across will not work. A good option for a changing Steam region is VeePN with its extensive network of servers. You don’t even need a detailed gamers’ VPN guide to get the job done. Do you know how to change the Steam region? Simply connect to the remote server and prepare a payment method that applies to the selected country. It’s enough.
How To Change The Steam Region With A VPN?
How to play anywhere with Steam:
- Subscribe to a VPN service that offers fast speeds and a wide range of servers.
- Download and install the VPN app.
- Connect to a server in the country where you want to change your store region.
- Open Steam and go to the “Store” section.
- Add a game to your shopping cart – you don’t have to purchase anything at this point.
- In the shopping cart, click on the country list located in the upper right corner and select your preferred country.
- Once you change the country, the game’s price should also be updated accordingly.
- Proceed to checkout and provide new payment method details. Note that your billing address should be in the selected country, along with its corresponding zip code.
Please note that using VPN services on platforms like Steam might result in IP address restrictions. First, you can try installing a free extension and changing the IP address. If any issues arise, follow the steps below to troubleshoot your VPN connection.
How To Fix Connection Problems?
How to fix problems with international game access on Steam:
- Clear your browsing history, cookies, cache, and other data.
- Restart your device.
- Reopen your VPN application and select a different server in the desired region.
- Activate the Kill Switch feature to prevent potential IP and DNS leaks if your VPN connection fails.
- Activate your VPN and give it another try. Now that you’ve changed your Steam region, let’s explore selecting the best VPN service for this purpose.
How To Choose The Best VPN For Steam?
When choosing a Steam VPN, knowing what aspects to consider can save you a significant amount of time and frustration. Below, you will discover the key criteria that aid in finding a suitable VPN:
- Geographically diverse and extensive server network: The more servers and countries available, the better. This ensures you can avoid congested servers that cause lag and unlock a wider range of restricted games while benefiting from better prices.
- Robust security: Opt for a VPN that offers top-notch encryption, a functional kill switch, and a strict no-logs policy. Prioritizing these features is crucial for safeguarding your online privacy.
- High-speed connections: To prevent interference with your connection speed, look for a VPN that utilizes the advanced WireGuard tunneling protocol. This maintains excellent speed while upholding security.
- Additional features: A VPN with a wide array of features guarantees an exceptional browsing and gaming experience.
- Broad compatibility: Ensure that the VPN provider offers apps for various platforms and allows a generous number of simultaneous connections.
Steam, the dominant PC gaming platform, offers affordable access to a wide range of games. However, geographical restrictions and high prices can hinder the experience. By utilizing a fast and reliable VPN with global server coverage, you can alter your virtual location and purchase games at lower prices in different regions. Additionally, a reputable VPN provides additional advantages such as unblocking streaming platforms, safeguarding against DDoS attacks, and enhancing content accessibility.