The Advanced Placement (AP) Seminar is a hybrid course that blends online learning with in-person meetings. AP Seminar uses the online platform Canvas to deliver lectures and enable students to practice skills. In-person meetings are led by a local instructor and take place once per week for half a school year, with some breaks built in. The AP Seminar is unique in its structure and its focus on connecting students with the world around them. But what makes it challenging? Once you get past the unusual format, the content is not much different from other advanced placement courses. Keep reading to learn more about AP Seminar and whether or not you’ll be ready for this challenge!
Is AP Seminar Hard?
It depends on your definition of ‘hard’. If you’re talking about difficulty, the answer is yes – AP seminars are difficult. They require a lot of studying and hard work, and the exams are no walk in the park. But if you’re talking about reward, the answer is also yes – AP seminars are very rewarding. They give you a glimpse into the college experience and allow you to test out of high-level courses. Additionally, they give you bragging rights – everyone will be impressed when you tell them that you took an AP seminar course!
What You’ll Learn In AP Seminar?
- The AP Seminar is an interdisciplinary course that focuses on the world’s most pressing issues. You will examine topics such as war, climate change, and health, as well as the way these issues intersect with each other.
- The AP Seminar curriculum is split into three units. Students spend the first unit studying different issues related to humans, the second unit examining the way humans and the natural world interact, and the third unit focusing on the relationship between human societies and the rest of the world.
- Throughout the course, students will read and analyze articles, reflect on the implications of the articles’ findings, and create their own arguments for/against certain topics. Students will also create a “capsule” website that summarizes their findings. The AP Seminar is a challenging course, but it’s also a rewarding one! If you enjoy pursuing your interests and pushing yourself academically, the AP Seminar could be a great fit.
- You will have the freedom to choose the topics you want to research and write about, so you can apply your interests to issues that matter to you. The AP Seminar also offers flexibility in its format. You will have the option to focus on your in-person meetings or complete coursework online. And you’ll have the opportunity to interact with other students who are passionate about the same issues you are.
Why Online Courses Are Challenging?
You have to be more self-motivated
The first reason why online courses are challenging is that you have to be more self-motivated. When you’re in a university classroom, there are many different types of people around you. Some are quiet and choose to be left alone, some will be vocal and friendly, and some will be extremely vocal and friendly! Regardless, you have people around you that are there for the exact same reason as you. In an online course, you don’t have this type of support. You are in charge of your own motivation and engagement. This means you’ll need to find different ways to stay engaged and motivated when you don’t have other people influencing you. This is a great way to challenge yourself, as you’re basically forcing yourself to engage and be as productive as possible when you don’t have other people there to help you stay focused.
There is no physical classroom
Another reason why online courses are challenging is that there is no physical classroom. When you take a university course, most likely you’ll have one course per semester. In an online course, you might have multiple courses back-to-back. This means that you have a lot more material to go through, and you’ll have to be extremely organized so that you don’t miss any deadlines or assignments. When you’re in a physical classroom, there are also other people that can help you stay on track if you don’t know what to do next. In an online course, there is no teacher in the room. You’ll have to be 100% self-disciplined and motivated to get through everything on time.
Online courses are constantly evolving
The third reason why online courses are challenging is that online courses are constantly evolving. As you go through your online course, you’ll notice that the material will most likely change over time. This is because online courses are constantly being updated, and many universities are trying to find better ways to engage students and improve course quality. This can present challenges if you’re trying to go back through course material to review something you learned a while ago. The wording, examples, and ways of teaching will most likely be different. This doesn’t necessarily mean that the course is bad, it just means that the course is constantly being improved and updated to be better for both students and teachers! There is no such thing as a “perfect” course, but there is such a thing as a “better” course.
You need to stay on top of email communication
The fourth reason why online courses are challenging is that you need to stay on top of email communication. In a physical classroom, the teacher will be responsible for communicating with you. You’ll have one person you can go to if you have a question about the course or assignments. In an online course, you have to be the one that communicates with other students. You’ll need to find a way to keep track of all the different people you’re communicating with and make sure you’re communicating with everyone in a timely and effective manner. This means that you’ll need to be extremely organized and stay on top of communication with everyone in the course. This can be challenging if you’re not great at staying organized. You’ll have to make sure to check your email regularly, respond to emails as soon as you can, and organize everyone’s names and emails in a way where you can easily find them later on.
The material is constantly changing
The fifth and final reason why online courses are challenging is that the material is constantly changing. Just like we mentioned above, many online courses are constantly changing. This can include different types of assignments, types of material to read, and ways of teaching. This can be a challenge if you’re the type of person that likes to get comfortable and use the same method of learning for everything. You’ll have to constantly be changing things up and trying out new ways of learning. This can be a great way to challenge yourself and learn new ways of approaching things.
When Is The AP Seminar Offered?
- The AP Seminar is offered every year, but the exact dates vary from year to year. Check the College Board website to find out the exact dates for the upcoming school year.
- Since the AP Seminar is a hybrid course, you can take the course at any time of year. It is ideal for students who want to pursue specialized topics that don’t fit into a typical Advanced Placement course.
- You can also take the AP Seminar if you have a pressing personal matter you wish to write about.
How To Prepare For The AP Seminar?
- If you are interested in taking the AP Seminar, make sure to start early! The AP Seminar is a challenging course that requires a lot of independent work.
- You’ll want to make sure you have enough time to read and analyze articles, practice your written communication skills, and create your website.
- You will also want to make sure you have a quiet place to work and that you’re prepared for the online component of the AP Seminar.
- You will complete many assignments via the online platform Canvas, so you’ll want to make sure you have access to a computer.
- You can also choose to use a laptop or tablet, but you will need a computer if you want to take the AP Seminar paperless.
Tips For Surviving And Thriving In AP Seminar!
- Create a study schedule – The AP Seminar is a challenging course, so make sure that you are prepared. Create a study schedule that allows you to balance your other responsibilities and gives you enough time to prepare for each unit.
- Organize your online tools – The online component of the AP Seminar can be overwhelming. Make sure you know how to use all the different tools the course is designed to use. You can use this article as a guide to the Canvas platform.
- Find a study buddy – Studying with one other person can be a great way to stay motivated and help you stay on track with your workload. Pick someone who is also taking the AP Seminar and agree to meet regularly to discuss readings and assignments.
The AP Seminar is a unique course that will challenge you academically and help you explore your interests. By following these tips, you can prepare yourself for the course and make sure you have everything you need to thrive! Keep in mind that, although this course is challenging, it is also rewarding. The AP Seminar gives you the freedom to explore topics that interest you and apply your knowledge to issues that matter.